This is Columbus Publishing...
... Because the world is not flat...
... and because the publishing world is changing faster today than it ever has.
Columbus Publishing has been set up for three reasons:
1) To publish books that challenge; books that make people think; books that can change the world;
2) To publish books in the modern way - how forward thinking readers want them;
3) To publish books with the author's interests in mind.
1) Columbus Publishing's first book is "The Obesity Epidemic: What caused it? How can we stop it?" A book that has the power to transform everything you think you currently know about obesity, dieting, nutrition and weight-loss.
Dr Malcolm Kendrick, author of "The Great Cholesterol Con", said of the book: "This book is not a simple, quick, easy read. However, if by the end of it, you have not changed the way you think about food and obesity - forever - you have clearly not understood what you have just read."
Barry Groves, author of "Trick and Treat: how 'healthy eating' is making us ill". called it a "Masterpiece".
This book needs to be read if we are to resolve the worst health crisis ever faced by man and one that has been entirely man-made.
2) The second reason for setting up Columbus Publishing is that the publishing world is one of the most rapidly changing industries today. Traditional publishers are struggling with the rapid change in consumer trends that moves them away from buying books in brick book shops more towards on-line etailers.
Digital publishing technology should make it easier for budding authors to get their works published, but a lack of standardisation and the technical challenges presented by the fastest growing reader platform of them all - mobile - still makes self-publishing beyond the reach of many authors.
Small indie publishers may recognise the opportunity presented by digital publishing technologies, and eBooks in particular, but they usually don't have the in-house skills to develop this opportunity.
Columbus Publishing was created to help overcome these, and many other, challenges facing small indie publishers and authors in particular. While focusing our resources on digital solutions, including mobile apps, we also publish traditional books in both hard and paperback format.
Whether you're a publisher with a library stock that you'd like to sell digitally, or an author that has a manuscript for consideration, we'd love to hear from you. Columbus Publishing is privately owned and is a joint venture between an author and an Internet development company.
3) The final reason for Columbus Publishing is that it's about time a publishing company gave authors a fair deal. As a joint venture between an author and an internet development company, Columbus Publishing knows only too well the 'unfair' world for authors that currently exists. It stuns readers to know that, from the £10 book that they treasure, the etailer/retailer will likely get £6.50 (the margin can be used to crash the price of the book as the etailer/retailer wishes) and the distributer, publisher and author have a bit of what is left once costs have been taken from the £3.50.
An author is paid royalties based on the selling price and will likely make less than 50p from the £10 book that they created and slaved over. This does not feel fair! It is not that much fairer for the publisher - who takes some risk up front and also gets very little of the overall pie. The etailer/retailer takes no risk at all, as books are accepted on a sale or return basis.
Enough is enough! If the reasons behind Columbus 'resonate' with you - get in touch. We are open and straightforward and entirely win win principled. If there is a mutual benefit for you and us to do something - we're open if you are.